One of the reasons I started this blog is because I find the kinds of folks that protest at Planned Parenthoods, and at colleges, and on random street corners in this town, to be disingenuous.
If you were the kind of person that really felt strongly against abortion, there are a couple of things you could do.
1. If you have a uterus, then don’t have an abortion.
2. If you produce sperm? Then make sure you use birth control, and that any uterus bearing partners you have sex with know how you feel, so you can match up with the kind of uterus owner that agrees with you.
That is the complete minimum, but there is more!
3. Studies have shown that free birth control can reduce abortion rates by 62%. Seriously!
4. Better sex education does in fact reduce unwanted pregnancies, and STI’s.
5. Encourage long acting, reversible, contraception. Like an IUD. Some folks think it’s the reason the abortion rate is actually going down, and at an all time low right now.
I do know what won’t reduce the abortion rate. Standing outside a Planned Parenthood with a sign attempting to shame every woman* that goes in.
So, you would think if a person’s beliefs were such that they felt abortions were not the removal of a small clump of cells, but the destruction of a human soul, that they would find a way to help prevent unwanted pregnancies in the first place.
But that’s not really what’s happening with these people. They are not helping reduce pregnancy rates. They are more invested in making sure women* that get pregnant “pay” for it.
In that way, it’s more about shaming women* that are sexually active, and removing their options, and control of their own bodies. I have heard these anti-choice folks go on about pregnancy and STI’s being god’s punishment for having sex. If that’s not a terrible throwback opinion, I don’t know what is.
It comes from the same sexist place that fostered the Fox News Freakout about women being breadwinners.
All this means is that these protestors are disingenuous to the extreme. There are lots of ways to stop abortions from happening that is backed with good cold hard science that is reproducible. That means, if they want to spend their efforts doing the exact opposite of stopping unwanted pregnancies and abortions, then stopping abortion is obviously not the reason they are there.
I think for most of them it’s more about enforcing antiquated sexist gender rolls where women are punished for enjoying sex.
*By using the word women, I actually mean anyone that identifies as a woman, and anyone that can get pregnant. I’m just not sure how to sort the gender terminology in a quick and easy shorthand at this point.
- emilygoddess likes this
- lisavilisa reblogged this from assholesoutsideplannedparenthood
- lisavilisa likes this
- sexmahoney likes this
- blackcollarcitizen likes this
- cursivegallifreyan reblogged this from assholesoutsideplannedparenthood
- theocraticjello likes this
- reinventinglucky reblogged this from theocraticjello
- reinventinglucky likes this
- brownedbits likes this
- theocraticjello reblogged this from assholesoutsideplannedparenthood
- assholesoutsideplannedparenthood posted this